Today, we continue the Getting Started Roller Skating Series with part 2. This episode is all about tips and questions you need to ask yourself before selecting your first (on next) pair of roller skates. Understanding the answers to these questions and what to consider can help you when deciding what roller skates are best for you.
In today’s episode, I cover:
- Understanding where you plan to do most of your roller skating – indoors at a rink, a gym or outdoors?
- What kind of surface will you be skating on? Wood, sports court, concrete or asphalt? The surface plays a big roll (pun intended) in knowing what wheels are best for you.
- How good is your balance already? How good your balance is will help dictate how much you need your equipment to help your stability.
- Do you already have a roller sport or a specific kind of skating that you want to do? If so, that can also dictate the type of skates you need.
- And, finally, if you are doing a kind of roller sport, understand the different types of skates that most people in that sport use regularly. This may help you decide whether you need quads, rollerblades or inlines.
Here are links I discuss in the show.
- Yoga Balancing Postures – https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/types/balancing
- Balancing Tests – https://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/balance-one-leg-stand.htm
Episode 19 Transcript
Coming soon…Expand To View Full Transcript
Thanks again for rollin’ by. If you have a question about the podcast or just want to leave me a note, please comment below.
I hope you will join me every week for a new episode of The Roller Skate Dad podcast.
Please subscribe to the podcast on whichever podcasting platform you listen on. And, don’t forget to join the Roller Skate Dad Club. You can do that easily with just your first name and email address from any page on this website.
Did you like what you heard? Do you want to hear more? Check out these additional episodes:
- Episode 1 – Get Out There & Skate
- Episode 2 – The Roller Skate Wheels Episode
- Episode 3 – The Roller Skate Bearings Show
- Episode 4 – Teaching Roller Skating to Others
- Episode 5 – Roller Skating Injuries & Protective Gear
- Episode 6 – Avid Roller Skater Alberto Quinones
- Episode 7 – Rollergirls: The Story of Flat Track Derby
- Episode 8 – The Roller Skate Boots Show
- Episode 9 – Starting a Roller Skating Rink
- Episode 10 – United Skates Documentary with Tina Brown and Dyana Winkler
- Episode 11 – The Skate Critic with Ginger Mathews
- Episode 12 – Milla Juke-a-bitch
- Episode 13 – Ask Dad: Your Roller Skating Questions Answered
- Episode 14 – Ask Dad – Balancing Exercises, Helping a Child Skate & Picking Skates for Stability
- Episode 15 – UK Artistic Roller Skating Performer, Coach & Organizer Dave Nicholls
- Episode 16 – Building Nonprofit Roller Skating Clubs with Dave Nicholls (part 2)
- Episode 17 – Roller Skating Health Benefits
- Episode 18 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 1: The Skater’s Mindset
Until the next episode, get on out there and skate!