Today, we continue the Getting Started Roller Skating Series with part 3. This episode is the completion of all my tips and questions you need to ask yourself before selecting your first (or next) pair of roller skates. Understanding the answers to these questions and what to consider can help you when deciding what roller skates are best for you.
In today’s episode, I cover:
- Going over all of the various parts of a skate including boots, wheels, plates, bearings and toe stops.
- We discuss the pros and cons of high top and low top boots.
- The 3 key things to look for when choosing roller skate wheels.
- The most important aspect to understand as a beginner about roller skate bearings.
- The different kinds of skate plates available and what a beginner needs to know about them.
- And finally we discuss toe stops and toe plugs.
All of the links that I mentioned in this show are to other podcast episodes which you can get to at the bottom of this page or by going to the Podcast home page.
Episode 20 Transcript
Coming soon…Expand To View Full Transcript
Thanks again for rollin’ by. If you have a question about the podcast or just want to leave me a note, please comment below.
I hope you will join me every week for a new episode of The Roller Skate Dad podcast.
Please subscribe to the podcast on whichever podcasting platform you listen on. And, don’t forget to join the Roller Skate Dad Club. You can do that easily with just your first name and email address from any page on this website.
Did you like what you heard? Do you want to hear more? Check out these additional episodes:
- Episode 1 – Get Out There & Skate
- Episode 2 – The Roller Skate Wheels Episode
- Episode 3 – The Roller Skate Bearings Show
- Episode 4 – Teaching Roller Skating to Others
- Episode 5 – Roller Skating Injuries & Protective Gear
- Episode 6 – Avid Roller Skater Alberto Quinones
- Episode 7 – Rollergirls: The Story of Flat Track Derby
- Episode 8 – The Roller Skate Boots Show
- Episode 9 – Starting a Roller Skating Rink
- Episode 10 – United Skates Documentary with Tina Brown and Dyana Winkler
- Episode 11 – The Skate Critic with Ginger Mathews
- Episode 12 – Milla Juke-a-bitch
- Episode 13 – Ask Dad: Your Roller Skating Questions Answered
- Episode 14 – Ask Dad – Balancing Exercises, Helping a Child Skate & Picking Skates for Stability
- Episode 15 – UK Artistic Roller Skating Performer, Coach & Organizer Dave Nicholls
- Episode 16 – Building Nonprofit Roller Skating Clubs with Dave Nicholls (part 2)
- Episode 17 – Roller Skating Health Benefits
- Episode 18 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 1: The Skater’s Mindset
- Episode 19 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 2: Tips for Picking Out Your First Roller Skates – Part 1 of 2
Until the next episode, get on out there and skate!