Today, we kick off a series of podcast episodes that are going to focus on getting started roller skating.
As I stated in my first few episodes of the podcast, one of my main goals with the Roller Skate Dad website, podcast and Club is to get more people skating. Or, to get people who used to skate back roller skating again.
It’s a big mission of mine.
And, I am trying to do anything I can to get more people out there skating.
So, this is the first part of several episodes that are geared for the beginning roller skater. Those just starting out roller skating for the first time.
And, even if you are already an accomplished skater, I hope you’ll get some use from them, too.
In today’s episode, I cover:
- How do we get into the right mindset? How do we get past the fear of skating and hurting ourselves?
- Some tips on how to get past self doubt. Yes, you can skate! If you can walk, then you can learn how to roller skate!
- Setting the right goals & expectations for yourself when you are just starting out.
- How many hours does it take to truly master a skill?
- And the 15 stages a beginner skater needs to go through and become proficient at before moving on to a roller sport.
Here are links I discuss in the show.
- Zen Habits – 10,000 hours to master a skill
- Outliers: The Story of Success – by Malcolm Gladwell
- Also references the 10,000 hours to become an expert.
- The First 20 Hours – How to Learn Anything Fast – by Josh Kaufman
- The 2 book recommendations above will take you to Amazon and are affiliate links. If you purchase either book, I will get a small commission at no cost to you. Those commissions go to helping run and maintain the RSD website and podcast. Thank you.
Episode 18 Transcript
[expand title=”Expand To View Full Transcript”]
Thanks again for rollin’ by. If you have a question about the podcast or just want to leave me a note, please comment below.
I hope you will join me every week for a new episode of The Roller Skate Dad podcast.
Please subscribe to the podcast on whichever podcasting platform you listen on. And, don’t forget to join the Roller Skate Dad Club. You can do that easily with just your first name and email address from any page on this website.
Did you like what you heard? Do you want to hear more? Check out these additional episodes:
- Episode 1 – Get Out There & Skate
- Episode 2 – The Roller Skate Wheels Episode
- Episode 3 – The Roller Skate Bearings Show
- Episode 4 – Teaching Roller Skating to Others
- Episode 5 – Roller Skating Injuries & Protective Gear
- Episode 6 – Avid Roller Skater Alberto Quinones
- Episode 7 – Rollergirls: The Story of Flat Track Derby
- Episode 8 – The Roller Skate Boots Show
- Episode 9 – Starting a Roller Skating Rink
- Episode 10 – United Skates Documentary with Tina Brown and Dyana Winkler
- Episode 11 – The Skate Critic with Ginger Mathews
- Episode 12 – Milla Juke-a-bitch
- Episode 13 – Ask Dad: Your Roller Skating Questions Answered
- Episode 14 – Ask Dad – Balancing Exercises, Helping a Child Skate & Picking Skates for Stability
- Episode 15 – UK Artistic Roller Skating Performer, Coach & Organizer Dave Nicholls
- Episode 16 – Building Nonprofit Roller Skating Clubs with Dave Nicholls (part 2)
- Episode 17 – Roller Skating Health Benefits
- Episode 18 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 1: The Skater’s Mindset
- Episode 19 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 2: Tips for Picking Out Your First Roller Skates – Part 1 of 2
- Episode 20 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 3: Tips for Picking Out Your First Roller Skates – Part 2 of 2
- Episode 21 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 4: Choosing Your First Roller Skates
- Episode 22 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 5: Picking Out Your Safety Gear
- Episode 23 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 6: Falling Down & Getting Back Up
- Episode 24 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 7: Learn How to Stop on Roller Skates
- Episode 25 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 8: Skate Forwards Without Falling Down
- Episode 26 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 9: Balance, Standing on One Foot & Crossovers
- Episode 27 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 10: Roller Skating Backwards
- Episode 28 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 11: Doing Backwards Crossovers
- Episode 29 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 12: Doing Two Foot Turns
- Episode 30 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 13: Doing One Foot Turns
- Episode 31 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 14: Doing the Bunny Hop
- Episode 32 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 15: Doing a Waltz Jump
- Episode 33 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 16: Doing a Two Foot Spin
- Episode 34 – Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 17: Getting into a Roller Sport
Want to Learn More About Skating?
Want more reviews on roller skates? Check out my Best Roller Skates page for a list of all of the quad roller skates I recommend. I also have pages for roller skates for men, roller skates for women and roller skates for kids where I recommend the best skates on the market today. Or, check out my roller skates for beginners if you are completely new to roller skating.
Or, if rollerblades or inline skates are more your style, then check out my rollerblades for men, rollerblades for women or rollerblades for kids pages. Or, if you are completely new, check out my rollerblades for beginners page.
4 thoughts on “Getting Started Roller Skating – Part 1: The Skater’s Mindset – 018”
Thank you for sharing! This serves as a guide and an inspiration, especially to beginners. Thank you for adding some guide links as well. Will read the episodes later!
Thanks Ryan for rollin’ by. I’m glad to hear the series was useful for you.
Thank you so much I enjoyed getting myself to believe I can skate, my son actually joined in supporting me “you can do this mom!”… on to the next pod cast !
That’s awesome, Chantal! You can do it!