Today, we kick off a series of podcast episodes that are going to focus on getting started roller skating.
As I stated in my first few episodes of the podcast, one of my main goals with the Roller Skate Dad website, podcast and Club is to get more people skating. Or, to get people who used to skate back roller skating again.
It’s a big mission of mine.
And, I am trying to do anything I can to get more people out there skating.
So, this is the first part of several episodes that are geared for the beginning roller skater. Those just starting out roller skating for the first time.
And, even if you are already an accomplished skater, I hope you’ll get some use from them, too.
In today’s episode, I cover:
- How do we get into the right mindset? How do we get past the fear of skating and hurting ourselves?
- Some tips on how to get past self doubt. Yes, you can skate! If you can walk, then you can learn how to skate!
- Setting the right goals & expectations for yourself when you are just starting out.
- How many hours does it take to truly master a skill?
- And the 15 stages a beginner skater needs to go through and become proficient at before moving on to a roller sport.
Here are links I discuss in the show.
- Zen Habits – 10,000 hours to master a skill
- Outliers: The Story of Success – by Malcolm Gladwell
- Also references the 10,000 hours to become an expert.
- The First 20 Hours – How to Learn Anything Fast – by Josh Kaufman
- The 2 book recommendations above will take you to Amazon and are affiliate links. If you purchase either book, I will get a small commission at no cost to you. Those commissions go to helping run and maintain the RSD website and podcast. Thank you.
Episode 18 Transcript
Coming soon…Expand To View Full Transcript
Thanks again for rollin’ by. If you have a question about the podcast or just want to leave me a note, please comment below.
I hope you will join me every week for a new episode of The Roller Skate Dad podcast.
Please subscribe to the podcast on whichever podcasting platform you listen on. And, don’t forget to join the Roller Skate Dad Club. You can do that easily with just your first name and email address from any page on this website.
Did you like what you heard? Do you want to hear more? Check out these additional episodes:
- Episode 1 – Get Out There & Skate
- Episode 2 – The Roller Skate Wheels Episode
- Episode 3 – The Roller Skate Bearings Show
- Episode 4 – Teaching Roller Skating to Others
- Episode 5 – Roller Skating Injuries & Protective Gear
- Episode 6 – Avid Roller Skater Alberto Quinones
- Episode 7 – Rollergirls: The Story of Flat Track Derby
- Episode 8 – The Roller Skate Boots Show
- Episode 9 – Starting a Roller Skating Rink
- Episode 10 – United Skates Documentary with Tina Brown and Dyana Winkler
- Episode 11 – The Skate Critic with Ginger Mathews
- Episode 12 – Milla Juke-a-bitch
- Episode 13 – Ask Dad: Your Roller Skating Questions Answered
- Episode 14 – Ask Dad – Balancing Exercises, Helping a Child Skate & Picking Skates for Stability
- Episode 15 – UK Artistic Roller Skating Performer, Coach & Organizer Dave Nicholls
- Episode 16 – Building Nonprofit Roller Skating Clubs with Dave Nicholls (part 2)
- Episode 17 – Roller Skating Health Benefits
Until the next episode, get on out there and skate!